Thursday, June 21, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Cadillac hearse

Everyone knows that Cadillac builds great luxury cars, but what some people associate Cadillac with is service cars; for decades, Cadillacs have been the choice of car for funeral-homes, nursing homes, limousine agencies, and governmental folks. Obama drives one, the funeral-home near me has a few, and even the airport taxi service uses a few. However, none of the contemporary Cadillacs hold the amount of class an older model displays.
I usually go for pre-1970 Cadillac service cars, but I almost never see them; I do see quite a bit of 1977-1996 ones, though, as well as post-facelift DTS', but those are rather ugly, and not worth shooting in any way, shape or form. I usually like these with the wire hubcaps versus the plain aluminum ones, but these will do for now--kinda. I'm not sure what brand of coachwork this one is, so I'll make it easy and simply call it "Cadillac hearse"; it does no harm, without being ignorantly wrong.









With all due respect, this is an older set of photos; they're not very good; I know that. I haven't seen this once since, or I would've reshot it; from what I can tell, the paint looks very nice, especially for a decommissioned hearse being used as a personal vehicle; the hubcaps, too, look quite good. No visible marks, curb scuffs, or any sign of damage anywhere would suggest that the owner takes pride in his or her vehicle. One aspect which I found quite saddening, though is the appearance of rust slowly making its way through the metal, particularly under the hearse roof. While it was probably just cosmetic at the time I shot this, I can almost guarantee that rust was--or will be-- the immediate downfall of this poor hearse.
I love finding hearses, but sadly I didn't know much about hearse when I shot this. Hell, back when I shot this, my car knowledge wasn't what it is now; obviously, my photography wasn't either, hence the semi-blurry, and not very detailed pictures.
Overall, I wish I would've shot this better, but alas, I can't rewind time. I am glad I at least documented this hearse though.

1 comment:

clmarek said...

Looks good, shame about the rust.

A good friend of mine owned a late 60s S&S hearse that was in very bad condition, lots of rust and a bad engine, all of the hearse-specific parts were gone shortly after it hit the junkyard.