Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Cadillac DeVille convertible

I've been on a roll when it comes to Cadillac's hardtop and sedan cars; it seems that until summer, the convertibles are nearly absent. Only when the weather's nice do the good verts come out. And I don't mean the measly-ass Eldorados, either. Sure, the Eldorados have some class, but really, when one thinks of Cadillac convertibles, the bigger, more prestige cars come to mind like this deVille. I usually am a sucker for the larger Cadillacs, and this white vert is no exception. Not only did it catch my eye when driving, I waited till it was parked, so I could shoot it in full. And I'm glad I did. I don't see many convertibles, much less the '69s and '70s.













From the quick glimpse I had of this on the street, I knew this was going to be a great find; I've always adored this generation of Cadillac's most recognized nameplate; I have a few Matchboxes of this, but mine are sedans. I don't think the convertibles are even represented. Shame, really, because the convertibles look better than their sedan and coupe counterparts. I don't recall seeing many white Cadillacs (aside from the one Boss Hogg drove in Dukes of Hazzard), but this DeVille wears the color well. Like the Sedan deVille before it, this example, too, oozes class that not many cars can match-- not even most Cadillacs. The fact that it's a convertible certainly helps; as true with most classic cars, these things look better with no roof--and look like poo with the roof up.
Vogue tires and polished hubcaps, and gleaming chrome suggest that this car is owned by a certified enthusiast; I have never seen this deVille in the rain, nor have I seen it on cloudy days (except the one in the photographs). All the times I've seen it, it's just cruising, and the driver seems to always be relaxed; I would be too, if I was piloting such a beast of a car; its a far better choice than an XLR could ever dream to be. If I had to have a deVille of this era, a convertible would definitely by my choice--and as ironic as it may seem, I'd have mine in white just like this one.

No comments: