Friday, June 15, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Dodge Custom

I hardly ever spot anything older than circa 1955 on ours roads, and usually when I do, said specimen has been turned into a half-assed "ratrod" or some-such. Most of the vehicles I see fitting the aforementioned description are pickups, or cliched cars such as '32 Ford roadsters, and late '40s Ford coupes. To find a Dodge from this era is almost unheard of, although I have spotted a few Plymouths from this era, so who knows?
At almost every car show, there is at least one stock postwar Dodge, but it's usually a convertible, or a pickup-truck. The sedan-type cars are seldom seen, both in the wild and in the show circuit. To my surprise, I caught one lurking in a back alley near my home. I don't think this counts as a legit street sighting, but I figure, it's interesting enough to post, so why not?











From a distance, this Dodge looks pretty basic; its a relatively aged vehicle that seems to be somewhat of a survivor. The paint color is so flat that I can't tell if it's primer or just dull paint-- or it could easily be a mix of both. The trim on this car (what's left of it anyway) is rather decent, especially given that this vehicle likely spent its whole life in this state. There is some evidence of rust repair, and there is evidence of surface rust still peeking through, but that's expected of a car this age.
I don't see very many pre-1950s cars in any state here, so I have to say that this is one of my better finds, but its a shame it's not in very good condition; this thing is begging for a proper restore, and if it were mine, that's exactly what would occur. I'd probably customize the paint color and have it done up in a neat deep green, with polished-chrome moon-esque hubcaps. For the interior, I'd do it in a nice saddle leather reminiscent of the color on new Bentleys, with as much plated trim as possible. For running gear, I'd drop in any number of modern or not-so-modern 300+ cube V8s; how does a 383 sound? Maybe supercharge that beast, and have a little more power to go with the cruising nature of such an old car? Sounds good to me, at leas,. But first, I'd have to save this example--and quick, before rust gets to it.

1 comment:

clmarek said...

This is awesome, I'd roll it as-is cosmetically tho.

What I'd really love, is a 1950s oddball British luxury sedan like a Daimler, Lea-Francis, Bristol, Lagonda or Armstrong Siddeley, maybe even a 60s Lancia, Iso or Maserati, in this kind of shape but running/driving/semi-reliable.