Saturday, June 30, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Pontiac Bonneville wagon

I've been on a 1960s kick lately; for whatever reason, I am beginning to think that the 1960s is one of the best decades for post-modern car design; every brand had consistent themes, styling was a mix of luxurious-ness, but most cars still packed tons of incredible details that would lure enthusiasts to inspect them more closely. I've brought readers examples of Pontiac's Bonneville before, but never a wagon-- and I have come to a not-so-startling conclusion; the Bonneville wagon is probably my favorite bodystyle for the nameplate. I love wagons--always have, and likely always will. As a "late-bloomer" in the classic car scene, I first discovered the mid-1960s Bonneville last winter, and pored over its many exquisite details; unfortunately, I did not get very many closeup shots of these details on that example nor this one. That still standing, this white wagon is probably the coolest American car I've featured this year.













On the whole, this particular Bonneville was beautiful; I normally don't care for white cars, but on this wagon, it works--quite well. It makes the big wagon seem a bit smaller than it actually is, and the rolling stock certainly helps matters. Another thing I quite liked about this Bonneville, is the sparse amount of chrome. Normally, I'm a sucker for older cars with varying degrees of chrome, but here, the absence of it clearly sets it off. With only the "Bonneville" script adorning the doors, the minimal application on the grillework and tailgate, this American wagon screams "class" not many others can.
No doubt this example is stock, aside from the lowering job and Torq Thrust wheels, both of which look excellent here. I'd say this is about as close of a "hot rod wagon" one can get without doing any drastic changes; for someone who recently got interesting in mid 1960s iron, I'd venture as far to say that this Bonne is certainly the best of the breed I have seen yet.
I would loved to have shot this on the street, but I'm not complaining; I realize I've broken my own rules, but hey, an awesome find is an awesome find, right?

No comments: