Sunday, June 24, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Volvo 144S Automatic

When it comes to foreign cars here on the blog, my favorites tend to hail from Europe, with a few exceptions. I hardly ever shoot BMW E30s anymore, and even the BMW E28s tend to get my attention these day. Over the course of my shooting, I've noticed a severe lack in Swedish cars. Why? To be honest, my Saabs here are cookie-cutter 900s with the same wheels, and the same dumb cut-spring mods, and random stickers here and there. Volvos, too, have sort of left me feeling indifferent about them-- until recently. I've noticed a growing surge of pre-200 series Volvos, and this is the first one I've shot.
The 140 series came to the US in 1966, and lasted until 1974. The range consisted of the 142 (two door), 144 (four door) and the 145 (a five door); a few years ago, before I took shooting seriously, I ran across a vast quantity of 140s. Unfortunately, most of them have been killed, or have simply been put away. This 144S Automatic is the first one I've seen in quite awhile, so I took the time to diligently shoot it.












Unlike most of the Volvos in the land of 10,000 lakes, this yellow 144 hasn't seemed to age much, if at all. The paint is still in great nick, all of the chrome is in place including the gas filler. One thing I really liked about this car is that I can tell it's owned by someone who cares for it dearly. Not only is the whole thing in great shape, its been fitted with Volvo accessory mudflaps--surely not a common sighting by any means.
By far, the 144 is rarer than the 200 series cars, especially here in the rustbelt; I haven't seen many in a few years, but I hope I can score more. I really like these, and this well-kept yellow one fits the bill quite nicely. A stout car in stout condition, I really enjoyed shooting this. Surely, I'll be able to find more, and shoot them in the same detail.

1 comment:

clmarek said...

Looks just like Arnie Cunningham's parents' car from the movie "Christine".

Great sighting and pics.