Friday, June 1, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu four door

As I've mentioned before, finding vehicles from the 1970s and 1980s is rather easy around here, even if said vehicles are in rather rough shape; however, finding vehicles from the 1960s is a bit more challenging. Not only is the survival rate fairly low, but most of the surviving vehicles from the era get chopped up and made into either donks, custom cars, or have been mutilated in a demolition derby.
Chevrolets are honestly some of the most common vehicles here, classic or not. I've seen way too many Impalas, and hoards and hoards of two-door Chevelles in various condition. Four door Chevelles from any era are quite uncommon here, and seeing a 1960s-era example? Pretty slim chance, I think. But that's exactly what I found early this summer on one of my first all-day riding sprees. I couldn't believe my eyes, and I probably spent more time staring at it in awe than actually shooting it.











Unlike the last Chevrolet four-door I posted, this Chevelle is pretty nice. No obvious paint mishaps, the chrome seems good, and the trim is intact, and in very good condition. There is some orange peel present, suggesting that this may be an older restoration turned to summer driver status, but that doesn't really bug me. A car is supposed to get driven, even if it is a classic.
The only thing I take issue with, and this is relatively minor given the rest of the car, is the wheel choice. Sure there are other wheel choices that probably would be better, but the owner chose these wires. While I don't out right hate them, I think they'd be better suited for something like an Impala or Biscayne rather than a four-door Chevelle-Malibu.
I like these thing for what it is; a no-frills basic four-door sedan that's had enough care to survive nearly four decades. With the right care, I'm sure it could survive four more. Cheers to the owner for helping save a not-sought-after version of one of Chevrolet's most sought-after nameplates.

No comments: