Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Mercedes 190 Fintail

Yesterday I brought you one vehicle from a local guy's collection--the Chrysler 300 two door. Now, here's the other piece of the dynamic duo that I shot recently. Garaged for most of the winter, this classic Mercedes only comes out on nice days, but its use is not limited to sunny days; I've seen this old gal cruising in the worst of rainstorms, so it cannot be cited as a "never seen rain" vehicle if it comes up for sale.
Classic Benzes are quickly becoming a hobby for me, rather than simply an interest; In addition to the W114/W115 cars as well as the obvious SL lineage, the W110/W111 are fast becoming my all-time favorite Mercedes.
With production starting in 1959 for six-cylinder cars, this lineup would hold through 1968, with the W114 and W115 replacing it for 1969. The six-cylinders were introduced first, followed by the more economical, and slightly cheaper four cylinder cars. Engine ranges included a two 1.9L four cylinders (one diesel and one petrol), two 2.0L fours (again one diesel, and one petrol), and a multitude of sixes, and a lone 3.5L V8. Since this example is badged as a 190, I can assume that its a 1963 model and that this Fintail is one of roughly 130,000 cars built between 1961 and 1965. Numbers for diesels were far greater, with about 230,000 cars built in the same time-frame.
Aside from the love-or-hate looks, this generation of Mercedes Benz was the first to be analyzed for occupant safety, as well as pedestrian safety; it's also the car that launched Mercedes' reputation for safe, durable, long-lasting cars and trucks. To call it just another classic Mercedes would be a definite understatement.












Now, I would normally say this missing hubcaps and faded paint means "looking a little worse for wear", but not here; this is "patina" exactly how it should be done. No fake rust, no deliberate mismatched body panels, and no random parts from other cars clutter up this classic tank. I've seen this vehicle before with all of the hubcaps, and I have to say I like it better without them. No idea why, either.
Inside, this Fin looks absolutely incredible; I would almost go so far as to call this a show-car in terms of its interior quality; no rips or tears, all the gauges are intact and work, and even that oh-so-awesome speedometer is left untouched. Truly a remarkable car in outstanding condition--at least when it comes to the interior.
The only thing left to do, is to lightly clean up the body, and perhaps get the original hubcaps back on, and just cruise; I have always sort of liked these cars, but now that I can appreciate them more, I would totally drive one if given the chance--and hopefully I will.

No comments: