Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chrysler 300

I am fortunate to live where I do; car spotting in Uptown is quite great here. Usually on Friday and Saturday nights, a smattereing of exotics come out to play. Blogworthy? Sure, if one can count mediocre yellow Gallardos and red F430s as blogworthy. I focus on older cars, though, particularly pre-1970s when I can help it. This is someone in my neighborhood who is apparently trying to make car-spotting easier for me; he's got quite a nice collection of cars, and I've featured a couple of his cars on here already.
His 0hrysler 300 is a staple in Minneapolis; he's the original owner, and it does serve as a daily driver, when the rest of his stable is sleeping. It's been on the road since new, and covered about 175,000 miles. In the time, aside from all the routine maintenance, no outside expenses were needed to keep this 300 running. It's been a daily driver since new, and with careful measures, it's likely to be a dealer driver for quite a while longer.





















Perched outside his residence, this big two-door clearly means business. A generic Sebring this is not. A while ago, I featured his Buick, and now I feature this. Caked in all its street-condition glory, this 300 is no show car--and that's how the owner likes it. "What's the point of having cars if they're not driven. If they get banged up, fix them if you care about them." Amen!
Clearly, this owner is fine with his stable being in less-than-mint condition, and to be honest, I think it gives the cars more character. While the paint is in decent shape, and the chrome is in equal shape, the whole car doesn't quite have that shwa-car feel to it. Something about it looks off. But that's okay, because I'd be hesitant to park a mint-condition anything on Lagoon, much less at night-time. While cars like this do spruce up the neighborhood, they also attract (generally) quite stupid lookyloos. While I was shooting, I got asked multiple times "where the horsey on the grille?" and "aww dammmm... is dat a 300C"? To answer the first question, " No, idiots, this is not a Mustang." And for the second question, "No. The 300C is not that only '300' Chrysler made. Do your research." This is a perfectly fine Chrysler two door that needs nothing else but to be kept away from idiots. And in uptown, away from idiots is where it will stay.

No comments: