Monday, June 18, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Cadillac Sedan de Ville

By now, it should be a no-brainer that I love Cadillacs; certain years do more in my favor than others, but point still stands, I don't think there were any ugly ones made (save for the Catera, and certain cars today.) I love the '64s, and I quite like the '69s and '70s, but the pre-'75 cars are slowly working their way up my "like-o-meter".
What we have here a 1973 Cadillac Sedan de Ville; featuring a 472 or 500 cube V8, and now packing energy absorbing (and semi-atrocious) bumpers, Cadillac's volume leader slid into 1973 slightly revamped, but came out a winner. Despite the front end changes and the bigger parking lights, sales of this year's Sedan de Ville took off. More than 215,000 were sold over the model year, besting the previous year's record of a hair under 195,000. Sadly, I doubt many of those 215,000 cars remain, because to date, I have seen maybe 10 or 11 nice examples, and an equal number of terrible ones.














Unlike yesterday's post, this big Caddy is damn near immaculate. Paint glistening in the sun, and the chrome shining like it has nothing to lose, the example surely means business. Being a pillarless four-door, and having all the correct trim only helps matters. I was taken aback by how nice this particular example is; not a one measly scratch, and no evidence of rust repair plague this good ole American sedan. Surely, it looks as if it just left the showroom floor--and who knows, maybe, it looks even better than new. And certainly an American sedan parked in front of one of Uptown's oldest restaurants just screams upscale Minnesota, in a way no other combination does.
I'm glad I spotted this one-- in a summer of Cadillacs, this black Sedan de Ville is the cleanest yet. I can only hope to find more of this bodystyle in perhaps a few different colors to add to the mix as well. I had a fun time shooting this, as I tried for arty pictures, as well as comprehensive ones. I can only hope my pictures do this car justice, because it truly is one of the nicest examples I've seen.

1 comment:

clmarek said...

Great car.

Unfortunately this generation of Sedan deVille will probably be remembered mostly as a demolition derby car and as the car used by serial killers Ottis Toole and Henry Lee Lucas in the late 70s/early 80s and by Toole alone in the Adam Walsh kidnapping. :(