Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Pontiac G8 GXP

As I've said before, I quite like these big GMs; to me, they're the proper successor of cars like the Buick Roadmaster and Chevrolet Caprice. When the B-Body died in 1996, a vacant area was left unfilled in GM's product portfolio. Along came the Pontiac G8 to fill the void left by the Caprice and Roadmaster's demise. I know I've professed this love a few too many times--even on this blog. I absolutely adore the G8. To me, it represents the perfect GM car. Rear-wheel-drive, a stonking V8, and a relatively modest price of entry. Relatively rare when new, these beasts are even more scarce now. I've seen all of the available trim lines in person, I have to say I quite like them all. The sheer fact that so many of the V8 models fell into the hands of "enthusiasts" isn't to be unexpected, nor are the trim bits lifted from others versions of this car. Despite the various Holden trim-bits, I cannot hate this on the whole. Although, it would make sense if the conversion was done properly, instead of simply half-assing it.









While I don't mind this car on the whole, there are a few little things that bug me to no end. First, the badges; yes, I know this is sold as a Holden in its primary market. I do realize that you like the Holden badges--but if you're going to do the conversion, please do the whole thing, including the front. Next up, the badges; I realize that this exact configuration-including the Pontiac front clip is available down under, so maybe that's what he was trying to accomplish. It looks fine, but a little bit odd. I don't suppose there were people slappging Olds Custom Cruiser fascias on Caprices and Roadmasters, were there?
In any case, I would happily drive this--at least then I wouldn't have to look at the mismatched badges-to-clip styling. Unless, of course, whoever modded this clean G8 did the Holden interior badge swap, as well. I don't entirely hate the idea of badge-swapping, it just wouldn't be my first choice.
All in all, the G8 is a very under-rated, under-appreciated car, and it's a damn good one, too. Come one day, there's no doubt that these will be certain collectibles. And there's a good reason for that--unless of course, the planned Chevrolet "SS" does indeed come out.

No comments: