Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Impala

Like the vast majority of my recent sightings, this one falls into the "I shot it once before, but never blogged it" department; I've always seen full-sized Chevrolets cruising the area, but so many of them end up as donks or lowriders; very rarely do I see one stock. In the rust belt, any old Chevy is sight, and a non-customized one is that much better.
When it comes to full-size Chevrolets, I never much cared for this generation; I've always been a fan of the obvious '58s, the '59s and the '61. The post '70s don't really do much for me, though I sometimes respect the '71s and '72s if done right. Though the later "box" cars are still a dime a dozen here, the pre-1977s are a rare sight, and welcomed in any condition.










I first saw this example of Chevrolet's fullsize about four years ago in a different area. Within a week of spotting it, I could've sworn it had suffered fire damage-- or maybe that was a different one entirely. Anywhoo, I scoped this thing out, clean and clear; I made sure no one was watching, for the neighborhood was rather seedy, then out came my camera.
On first glance, this Impala seemed to be a loved example--and it probably was. Aside from the flat paint, and pitted chrome, this Impala was in fair shape. The usual dings and pits adorn this car like scars on a war vet, but its clear this old boy isn't done fighting. With the windshield caked with a "Lyme Tyme" banner, this Chevrolet is owned by someone who probably doesn't care about this big guy's significance.
Scratch that minor setback, and classic Impala looks too good to be true--and it is. For surviving the Minnesota years for four decades, this Impala has clearly stood the test of time. Hopefully, this is just the middle-ground in a long life of motoring for this Chevrolet legend.

No comments: