Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Corvette

I usually don't shoot many "cliche" cars, but the Corvette has always stood out as a childhood favorite car; many people despise the fourth-generation Corvette (referred to as the C4 by enthusiasts), but I am not scared to admit I still sort of like it. As a little boy, the C4 was still fresh when I was born, and the facelift came out when I was about three or four. Initially, I loved the post-facelift cars, and grew to hate the first-generation C4; now, though, it's quite the opposite. The only post-facelift car I still adore is the ZR1, and the Grand Sport. The older ones, however, I am developing quite a fondness for. The wheels on the first iteration still give me the chills-- I never liked them, and I never will. This example rectifies that problem--quite well.










Like most early C4s, this car is a love it-or-hate it vehicle for me; on one hand, I love it because it's an original-shape C4, and not the cheap-looking facelift version, and one hand I hate it. The poking-out exhaust looks awful, and that half-assed wing looks positively stupid. Most Corvettes aren't beaters by nature, but this example seemed a bit neglected--or maybe that was just the area in which I found it.
Aftermarket wheels with missing centercaps would suggest a rather hard life, but I can't be too quick to judge. These wheels look better than the stock ones, and the exhaust is obviously not stock, so I can assume that this thing gets hounded on a daily basis. And it probably sounds quite good, too.
I love spotting the early C4s, and this one is no exception; if it were mine, I'd ditch the wing, and add better fitting exhaust tips. I do quite like the rolling stock, and I'd leave them alone. This is one nearly-perfect C4 that only need minor touch-ups to be immaculate.

No comments: