Sunday, May 13, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Monte Carlo

I've always like GM's G-body coupes more-so than their A body counterparts; for some reason the Monte Carlos and Cutlasses look a lot better than their Regal and Grand Prix cousins, except for the special editions of course. Being in the rustbelt, a vast majority of these cars lend themselves to two categories; beaters or gangsta favorites--or in some cases, both.
The pre-1981 Monte Carlos aren't really my favorite, but they seem to be the most common of the post-1978 models, next to the '82-'88 SS cars. Shame, too, because I quite like the formal-roofed cars in their own right. All too often, these cars are subject to various customization, from dirt-track cars, to lowriders, to donks. I don't like any of the aforementioned trends above, but I don't hate the last two when properly executed. This one, well, it leaves just a tad bit to be desired.








Okay, so it honestly isn't that bad. The paint is really quite nice, and the trim is stock, too. From a distance, and even up close, this Monte Carlo passes the test; it could be a nice driver--and it probably is, but it could also pass for a "show car" or something one would see for sale at a place that sells special interest cars. I know the wheels are dorky; I'm not really a fan in this application, either, but they're a better set than what could be on it, that's for sure.
I really do like lowrider/Dayton-style wheels, and I do like the thin white-walled tires, but these either need a bit more dish, or they need to be a tad bigger. I'd also switch out the rather blah-inducing centercaps for either some proper Dayton caps, or some true knockoffs. As it sits, I wouldn't turn it down entirely. Yes, I just said I'd proper more proper wheels and tires, but I could deal with these. At least it isn't raised high in the sky sitting on some 24s or 26s.
All in all, a satisfying spot, even if a bit mundane by my standards; I'll give the current owner credit for simply keeping an unloved generation of Chevrolet's personal luxury coupe rolling. With our winters, it certainly cannot be easy-- but this guy makes it look like it is!

No comments: