Sunday, May 27, 2012

Colin's Toybox: Hot Wheels Ford Frontrunnin' Fairmont




This is an oldie; one of the few cars that's miraculously survived my childhood. Like most of the cars in this era, this Hot Wheels represents a contemporary Ford product--the much-loathed Fairmont Futura two-door. While this casting was available an a plethora of variations, I only managed to save this Color-Changer variation. Shockingly, it still has all its paint; moreover, it still changes color--barely.
As older Hot Wheels go, this one is far more detailed than its newer cousins. It has a molded front fascia, the taillights are recognizable, and the profile is distinctly Fairmont. Unfortunately, this casting, too, suffers from Hot Wheels "big wheel syndrome". This would no doubt look better with same size wheels, but I guess since it's modelled after a rear-wheel-drive car, Mattel's gotta accentuate the wheel arches somehow.
I like this casting, and I would like more in my collection. Sadly, these are creeping up in value, so the odds of finding one cheap are pretty much shot at this point. Oh well. I suppose its good I have one replica in my collection. If I come across any more I will snap them up. Can't hurt, can it?

1 comment:

Ethen B said...

This is the first one I've seen anywhere on the internet. I am looking for more of then to see the prices but can't find them. Do you have any links to more?