Sunday, May 13, 2012

Colin's Toybox: Hot Wheels Chevrolet Camaro Z-28



I have stood by my beliefs that a Camaro is probably the first car I recognized, and was able to recognize based on design cues; as I got older, my Camaro love switched from fourth-gen, to third-gen, and now, as a somewhat mature car enthusiast, I have grown to appreciate the late second-generation cars. As a young child, I really didn't know shit about cars compared to what I know now. I only learned of the differences between the early and late second generation cars probably in about seventh or eighth grade but that's one interest that stuck with me. I had a few of this casting from back in the day, but most have been crushed by now.
I've had this example for a few years, now, and I think it depicts this model very well. The color scheme is spot on, right down to the 1970s-era (Malaise-era) rocker stripes in ghastly orange. I do like it, though, because it reminds the collector (or enthusiast) what this generation Camaro looked like when new. My biggest grip (beside the wheel size, obviously) is the cluttered front-end detailing. Either detail it all, or not at all. I think this particular example, since it has the correct decal tampos, would benefit greatly from headlight and taillight detailing. Sadly I don't have the steady hand required to make such alterations, or else I would happily do so.
For what it is, it's a decent piece; Hot Wheels can, and has, done better, but this is a good starting point. If you're a seasoned Camaro collector, and need a late second-gen, this is probably your only choice. Would I buy another? Probably not; I'd get the 2012 rendition of this bodystyle. It looks better and more proportioned, and it looks realistic, too.

No comments: