Saturday, May 26, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Buick Electra 225

I try to keep custom cars down to a minimum unless they're special or outlandish. I tend to flock to cars done in a style or theme that's not too common around here. For that reason, I tend to avoid rat rods and most Tri-Five Chevies. Not that I don't like them perse, they're just a tad too common.
Car trends come and go every few years; about ten years ago, having a bright orange Honda Civic with white wheels, white graphics, and a big wing on the back was considered cool, and fast forward five years ago, and all-out "rice" started to die out. However, in the bling trend, it worked much the same. About ten years ago, having 24s and lift was considered "ballin"; and then rims got bigger, and there were better styles and brands available. Lifting is now quite passe, and often looks ridiculous. The idea now is to fit bigger wheels on the car, but have it sitting relatively stock. Here, we have a custom Buick Electra done in donk style. Unlike most of the examples I see around here, this gorgeous one is rather tasteful.








This car is awesome! The paint color is great; not too pearly, and no ridiculous murals. The vinyl top, too, is quite a nice contrast to body's darker hue. Definitely the route I'd go. There are a few nits to pick with this example, though. I don't approve of the exhaust tips--they look stupid on a Camaro, and they look even worse here. The wheels, too, could leave a bit more to be desired. Asantis or Forgiatos would do this car the justice it so much deserves. I didn't really inspect the inside, but that's where quite a number of donk-style fall flat in my book. Ugly steering wheels, TVs point every which way, and dumb-looking sound installs. Thankfully, from what I saw, this Electra had none of that.
All it needs is a wheel swap, a Sunday afternoon spent detailing, and me behind the wheel. Overall, quite a clean cruiser that could stand to be cleaned up some.

No comments: