Sunday, May 20, 2012

Diecast of the Day: Auto Art Porsche 928








For years, I have collected 1:18s, and for years, my taste in "ultimate dream car" has been tossed around quite a bit. But, there's one car that's been forever in my heart-- the Porsche 928.
Porsche purists hate them, claiming they're not a real Porsche, the engine's in the wrong spot, etc etc etc. As a result, the 928 was often overlooked by model enthusiasts. Not any longer! I first heard about these via a diecast forum that I don't really visit anymore, and I was smitten at first sight. They started off at a measly $104.95, and I watched the price climb to a ungodly $124.95; it was then, and only then, did I decide to ask for it for a Christmas gift. Good thing I did, too, because prices still have not come down.
And my how I love this 928. The color is true to life, and the shine and finish are top-notch (despite the dust pictured here); the wheels, too, look real, although its pretty easy to tell they're plastic. Unfortunately, all models have this problem. Inside, the details are incredible. Flocking on the carpet and hatch give this model a true to life feel on the interior, a feature than my so-called premium models lack. I am also quite fond of the interior pattern. While later cars had a more traditional interior trim, earlier cars had a unique checkerboard insignia on the seats, which this Auto Art captures extremely well. As a diehard 928 enthusiast, I say this is worth every penny. I hope to add its friends somewhere down the line, after I get proper storage to fit my growing collection.
All in all, an excellent model not only for the model collector, but for the 928 enthusiast as well.

No comments: