Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Isuzu Vehicross

I try to refrain from posting modern cars, but sometimes, there are vehicles that are too quirky to pass up. Interestingly enough, my buddy who runs California Streets seems to think so, too. Like he, these have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. They came out when I was young enough to think these absurd designs were in some odd way cool. Apparently, Hot Wheels thought the same, because I remember having a silver one and a yellow one when I was younger.
Isuzu as a whole fascinates me; their entire portfolio is comprised of both rebadges of other company's designs, a slew of vehicles which people could deem either ugly or bland--or both. The Vehicross fits the ugly bill pretty well--if you're a generic car enthusiast. I find them not only a sign of the times (2000-2003 was the pinnacle for some rather awful "futuristic" designs, IMO.)

















Oddly enough, this particular Vehicross is in better condition than the example my friend found; granted his is a much rarer example, but that doesn't make my sighting any less special. Fitted with beefier tires, and rather "tough" looking wheels, it appears this rare ute is set up to tackle whatever nature throws at it. Like most "brodozers" here in the Midwest, this Isuzu probably never sees a speck of dirt. The factory paint is flawless, and the trim appears to be in excellent condition. On most examples, the cladding has likely faded from black to gray, and this truck is no exception. I can't recall ever seeing one where the cladding isn't faded. Even the yellow one I spotted last summer had faded cladding.
Would I sport one? Most definitely. Would I do mine up like this example? Probably not. These are unique trucks that should be left alone, or as near to stock as possible. There aren't many left, and they should be treated as such. If you're an offroad enthusiast do the Vehicross world a favor and buy youreself a Wrangler. I have no problem making these into capable rigs, but to cut one up as a trail rig is just blasphemous. The lift kit and "bro" wheels on this one are pushing it into the distasteful side, but I don't completely hate it. It's rare, and interesting--this it fits on this blog. I wish I would see more of them, but what fun would that be if these had the same presence as a Honda Accord?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What size tires?

Anonymous said...

First off... As far as re-badging goes, you are correct if you are talking about the last of ISUZU's North American offerings. You are mistaken if you think the ISUZU Rodeo and Trooper were rebadged Hondas. Honda rebadged those SUVs as the Passport and Acura SLX. Secondly, just because a ride is clean today does NOT mean it was clean yesterday. A clean ride reflects pride in ownership. I have taken my VehiCROSS off-road many times (Moab 7 times), and it is still my daily driver with over 130,000 miles on it. It is pretty clean right now, but there is still a fair amount of Moab red dirt to be found if you look. Lastly, most VX owners don't think the stock skinny wheel & tire combo looks right or works well enough off-road, and has to be beefed up some. That aside, there is nothing else like a VX on the road (or off of it). The combination of looks & performance is tough to beat.

IsuzuGeek said...

Obviously, you have no idea what you are talking about concerning rebadges. Most Isuzus were actually Isuzus, and it was the GM and Honda cars that were rebadges. For example, the Honda Passport was a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo, and the Acura SLX was nothing more than an Isuzu Trooper with some extra luxury.

And concerning the VehiCROSS, it stands as one of the most radical designs ever to reach actual commercial production. While the styling certainly isn't for everyone, there have been so many SUVs since that have tried and failed to look as cool, ex. The Nissan Leaf.

The VX is a polarizing vehicle no doubt, but wherever I drive mine, I get stopped and asked about it, even today, with the vehicle being over 10 years old now. It is easily the coolest and most fun vehicle I have ever owned.

Anonymous said...

BTW, Vehicross was actually unveiled in 1993 (not early 2000's). And it still looks futuristic, TWENTY years later!

Just do not look at the interior :)

blacksambo said...

Simon Cox who designed the VehiCross and later worked for Cadillac designing the Ciel show car was just made international chief of styling for Infiniti. Whenever the press cited his background, his first accolade mentioned was the VehiCross. Additionally, the VX was a Paris Dakar Rally winner and named Japan Car of the Year '97/'98. So, just how ugly could the first aggressively styled car-in-the-world be?

Anonymous said...

I have two of them and they see regular service on the street and in the dirt and I couldn't be happier with their performance on both and with the attention they draw from friends and strangers. They will definitely out-Jeep a Jeep in the rough stuff, absolutely slay it in the twisties and look cool doing it; and yes, I own a Wrangler too...

Anonymous said...

I was worried when I was about to purchase my house with my bad credit score. I was declined a loan from my bank and couldn't get it. I explained to a friend, he then introduced me to the greatest man of all time ( Mr Benjamin Lee) . I explained my problem to him by sending a text to his mail and he helped me get everything solved in the space of 3 working days. He granted me a loan of 3,000,000.00 Euros to pay for my house in which I also used to expand my business as well. May God bless him! you can apply for a quick loan from Mr Benjamin Lee who is working with a group of investors..He’s the wizard everyone is talking about all over the internet..Contact him via Mail on    247officedept@gmail.com.