Saturday, May 19, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Mercury Grand Marquis

Throughout my years carspotting, I have seen many vintage Fords, and their offspring. Last summer, my Ford of choice was a tie between the Model A, and the Galaxie. This year, it seems as though the mid 1970s full-size Fords are coming out in droves. To date, I have seen numerous bloggable LTDs, but this Grand Marquis marks the second one I have spotted worth shooting. Mercurys were advertised as Lincoln nice with a Ford price, but from what I've seen in recent years--up until the brand's demise anyway, Mercury was just a rebadged Ford with a few more features and a different front fascia, with not much luxury to be had. Okay, so the Grand Marquis followed that, but at least it got a different front clip, and it got decent badges to promote its upscale image, something the later Marquis didn't.
In the 1970s, the Grand Marquis was the Ford product to have if you couldn't afford a Lincoln. Vinyl padded roof, full wheel covers, fender skirts, D-pillar badges, and a formal grill, this big sedan had it all--for a modest price. The most expensive in the lineup, sitting atop the base Marquis and mid-level Marquis Brougham, the Grand was packed to the hilt, wearing Lincoln-esque items at not quite the Lincoln cost. As when new, these cars are creeping up in value, and nice examples will set a potential owner back about $15,000 or so. One in drivable condition is a $4000 car, but most fall victim to demolition derbiers, making even finding a drivable one a real hassle.














From across the street this big boat looked amazing. As I crept closer, the tinworm that infected the rockers became more and more noticeable. The body--aside from the minor rust--was impeccably straight, and all the factory trim was intact--and in excellent condition to boot. The full-faced wheelcovers, too, are in rather tidy condition, and save for the back bumper, this could likely pass for a "used car" fifteen or so years ago.
My favorite thing about this car, though, is all the intricate badges and details that make 1970s cars what they are. The badge on the A-pillar and headlights is probably my single favorite feature on this car--yes, I like the full-faced wheelcovers, and I do dig the vinyl roof, but man.. cars were cars when they had emblems. It's how you recognized one car from another--not by its trademark grill, not by the amount of LEDs in the headlights, but the damn emblem!
And this big Merc solidifies that to the nth degree. I doubt I'll ever see one this clean again, much less one with all the emblems present. I salute the owner with a big "Thank You" for keeping this legendary luxury cruiser on the road. Who knows how many are left, even in this rusthell of a state.

No comments: