Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Buick Electra 225

Living on the mean streets of Minneapolis is no easy task for car freaks; it seems that with each passing day, the chance of spotting a land yacht preying on smaller traffic is growing slimmer and slimmer with each passing day. I rarely ever see the big four-door GMs, mostly just two-doors. And even then, the examples I spot tend to be rather ratty. Missing hubcaps, flaking paint, and a half-torn vinyl roof withering in the wind. Wait, no, sorry. That's Kansas. Here, the big two-doors are quite uncommon, but less-so than their four-door counterparts. I don't think I've seen any fullsize Buick this year aside from this lone Electra 225. Equipped with curb feelers, "swanger" wheels, and a probably-not factory dual exhaust, it's clear that the owner does respect his baby-- and he's careful with how he parks it and drives it, making sure that no other traffic dare come close to either hitting it or parking close to it.











Seeing these old yachts is a pleasure for me; I didn't really grow up with these, so I don't have "attachment" to them; I do appreciate like I do other cars, though. I remember growing up seeing bigger cars than I'm used to now, but at the time, I considered them everyday fixtures. I'm almost positive there was a brown 225 at my elementary school. Who owned it? I don't know. But this car brings back Pinckney memories, circa 1994.
Despite the badge being slightly broken, all the other trim appeared to be in immaculate shape. The grillework looked fantastic, and the wheels showed nary a hint of brake dust or road grime. The paint, too, was outstanding. Again, its clear the owner of this big boat enjoys his car, and wants to make a positive impression on others. I don't think I've ever seen one this clean--and I do mean ever.
The haphazard dual exhaust isn't quite my taste, and neither are the curb feelers. It's a lot better than the other fate that's so common with big cars, that's for sure. For all I know, this example could've been saved from the infamous donk trend, but as it sits now, the owner clearly has no intention of doing so.
And I hope those intentions stick with him. This Electra is way too nice to chop up for the sake of making it ride like a pickup.

No comments: