Sunday, March 25, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Plymouth Special Deluxe










When scouting for cars, I usually end up with cars from the 1960s to mid 1980s; very scarce are pre-1950 cars in any condition. Obviously rust plays a huge part in this, as does the fact that most pre-1950 vehicles have either been turned into hot rods of various degrees, or are trailer and garage queens that don't get driven.
I've posted a couple cars from this house before, and I know there are a few more cars that live here that I haven't shot. And like this owner's other cars, this Plymouth Special Deluxe is in awesome condition for its age. Besides the absence of a front bumper, this 60-some-odd year old "Mopar" looked impeccable. Not a scratch, ding or dent impacted the overall shine this thing had; like his other cars, its clear the owner takes great pride in this Special Deluxe. After all, a base model this is not.
The Special Deluxe series ran from 1946 to 1950, when it was replaced with a three-model lineup, the Cranbrook, the Concord, and the Cambridge. According to wikipedia, the Special Deluxe, which was the top of the line model, was one of the first cars to feature an on-dash starter button, something motorists take for granted some 60 years later. Like many of Chrysler Corps. offerings, the Plymouths really were gussied up-- and sometimes stripped down-- rebadged Dodges-- a fate that would kill the brand in the Summer of 2001.
While I usually don't feature cars this old, this black beauty caught my attention, especially since it was parked among a bevy of generic rust-laden 10 to 15 year old beaters that had little place anywhere save for the average junkyard. As this car is proof, sometimes I find the best bloggables in the oddest neighborhoods. I can only hope that as my blogging career holds out, I am able to find more interesting cars where I least expect them to be; that's what makes this interesting.

1 comment:

Keith Fellenstein said...

Wow Colin, that's a great find. A '46 Special Deluxe was my first car back in 1973. Mine never looked this good, but was a fun vehicle. I didn't have the money or inclination to do a restoration back then, so I always enjoy seeing a good example