Saturday, March 10, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Jeep J4000 Custom Cab










I've seen older Jeeps before; I've even blogged a few Grand Wagoneers, and an older Cherokee. This truck is the first one of its kind that I've seen here in the cities. Mixed among the various Chevies, Fords, and Dodge, this thing definitely draws the viewer's attention. I usually skip over older trucks unless they catch my attention somehow.
I first noticed this green and white example a few years ago when I saw it parked outside MCTC; I was going to shoot it, but it was gone when my class ended. This is another vehicle I thought was a one-time sighting; I was wrong. Fast forward a year later, and I started seeing it near my home, so naturally, I shot it when the time arose. On the surface, this J looked to be rough; oxidized paint, what little chrome was present was severely beaten and pitted, and the formerly white steel wheels looked brown enough to pass as being tan originally. Normally, this condition would render a car unbloggable, but this thing is different; it's awesome.
I usually see vintage trucks of the Big Three variety, but never one of these. These J trucks were made from 1962 (I think) to roughly 1988 with subtle changes. I would guess that this vehicle is a post-1971 example judging by the full grill and lack of AMC badging; doesn't stop me from liking it any more though. I don't like the Honco and up trucks, but for some reason, this generation looks great; the earlier trucks look.. wrong somehow. I don't really like the front fascia. Small headlights don't quite work on trucks with a full fascia.
Would I sport this? Definitely; I would hope it has more than a slant six in it, because.. it needs more than that. I'd chuck in a 401 and maybe make it somewhat of a sleeper. I'd nix all the performance giveways, and leave it looking like this. Heck, I wouldn't even lower or raise it. I'd even leave the oxidization present. Who doesn't love a sleeper than can dust modern Corvettes? Exactly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i bought this j4000 2 months ago from a dude in harris mn