Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Impala SS









I've featured heaps of Impalas here on The Automotive Way, for one simple reason; they never get old. The Impala is pretty much the epitome of a blank canvas when it comes to non-muscle car customization; people lift them, lower them, deck them out with various sound systems, and paint then garish colors; they're turned into donks, restored to stock, made into street machines of all natures-- a wide array of V8s will fit under the hood, too, so that only whets the potential customizer's appetite even more.
Throughout my blogging career, I have not featured a full-on lowrider; I figured I should change that. First spotted about a year or so ago, I somewhat tracked this thing back to its living quarters in a rather iffy neighborhood; I had to scope out the area for days on end to make sure that it was safe to shoot. So, out came the camera, and away I clicked.
Caked in a flakey, faded, white hue with various stages of exposed rust, this Impala has left most of its glory long behind it; instead of the classy two door it once was, this fabled nameplate has succumbed to decaying bling disease. Besides the shoddy paintwork, this car also wears scars that suggest that the owner had a few run-ins when attempting to parallel park. The exposed rust in the dents suggest that these battle scars have been there at least a year or so, and that does not bode well for the rest of the car.
Where the stock car left the showroom riding on 14" metal hubcaps, this example wears Dayton wire wheels in a 13" diameter, and has been fitted with a hydraulic suspension system, and since this car is parked in the "pop-up" position, it likely has severe suspension damage, and might never drive level again if the suspension work wasn't done correctly. I shouldn't spend my time bashing this particular Impala though, because I am a staunch fan of lowriders-- when done right. In order for me to absolutely love this Impala, it needs to be cleaned up. Fix the dents, and maybe add a club plaque in the rear glass, and I would totally drive it, hydraulics and all. Who needs donks and giant wheels when you can have a good old classic lowrider on reverse wire wheels. Let the three-wheelin' begin, and crank up that Ice Cube; it's time to get your bounce on.

No comments: