Sunday, March 4, 2012

Colin's Toybox: Hot Wheels Ford Maverick Grabber




















This week, I bring you one of my favorite mass-produced cars, but in small-scale form, from legendary toy company, Hot Wheels. Like I explained last week, in the later half of the 2010s, Hot Wheels revamped their product line, and introduced a whole slew of models aimed to recapturing the generation of car enthusiasts they feared were lost. Out with the generic new exotics, in with cars that are destined to become future classic cars among their respective followings.
Like the Ferrari 512 I showed of last week, I've had these Mavericks for a little bit, and in a mass frenzy, I began opening my cars, so I could photograph them among their peers; I think I found another favorite Hot Wheels car-- this Maverick is awesome! As I have explained before, the Maverick is one of those cars that sparked my interest as a young enthusiast, and it's so great to finally to see one being made in scale. Yes, Hot Wheels did one in 1970, called the Mighty Maverick, but those are extremely pricey these days, even for a iffy one. Some thirty-five years later, Motor Max brand Fresh Cherries did a series of Mavericks, too. But, like most newer toy companies, Fresh Cherries suffered from distribution problems, and was eventually canned.
This Hot Wheels version is probably one of my favorite non-retro Hot Wheels to come out in some time; the choice of colors and wheels is pretty nice, although the colors look more like Mustang colors than Maverick colors, though this particular diecast represents a Grabber, so who knows. I do quite like the red and blue car, but I am not too sold on the gold scheme; I think I only bought it because it was a Maverick, and I had to have it. Either way, I don't have all the variations, and there are still many more being released this upcoming year that I want.
I dare say that despite the ugly tampos that plague some of their recent offerings, Hot Wheels is generally on a roll, and with cars like the Maverick being introduced, I don't see that stream of success ending any time soon. It's about time these cars got introduced to a new generation; thank you, Hot Wheels, for keeping the spirit of my youth alive.

No comments: