Friday, March 30, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Maverick two door













It's long been known that the Maverick has been one of my favorite cars for quite a while now. From the time I got "up close and personal" with one, I knew I had overlooked a very worthy vehicle. Almost a mini-Mustang, in terms of styling, this one of of Ford's better looking cars through the 1970s-- the coupes anyway. The sedans were--and are-- not as good looking as their two-door counterparts.
Living in the rustbelt, most of these things have long since rusted away-- and that's a shame. To me, the Maverick's styling is timeless; its one of those cars that lets you know right away, "Hey I'm a baby Mustang". Longish hood, short deck, and an easily proportioned midsection lend the Maverick to a wide array of modifying potential; the fact that the engine bay can swallow up to a 600 cube Ford engine doesn't hurt either.
Unfortunately, this poor steed wasn't quite the thoroughbred it once was. Caked in a fine layer of not-quite-gloss, this brown beast clearly has seen much better days. Though, because it lives in Montana, it probably hasn't seen much snow. Sadly, even with the paint being all one "color", the shade varies dramatically, suggesting that this has been repainted once--or even twice. The wheels suit it well; I have not ever seen a Maverick-- or Comet for that matter-- rolling on baby moons, but I quite like the application here. Normally, I would frown on such a wheel choice on a car this "new", but here it works. Nice and unusual, unlike the drab tri-shade brown paint.
I would most definitely sport this; it needs a 302 and a 5 speed, a bumper replacement (and not those godawful post-1974 bumpers either) and I would happily drive it. Hell, I would happily drive it, now, too. I love these things, and each one I see on the road brings a smile to my face.

No comments: