Monday, March 5, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chrevrolet Corvair convertible










I know I recently posted a similar Corvair; as of late, these cars have been become my latest automotive obsession; as a casual observer of most GMs, I never really paid these little cars any attention until recently. While I am not quite a fan of the first generation cars, the second generation fixed everything I didn't like about the first. The tapered rear fascia, and more aerodynamic front fascia take away all the chrome excess that seemed, quite frankly, out of place. Gone are the chunky, off-balance lines of the the front fascia that made the first generation have the appearance of a pre-wrecked vehicle. While some may argue that the later cars almost look European, I counter with, "so what?" The styling is much cleaner, and the details are executed far better than those of the first generation car.
Usually, I give a car a good once over before I begin to shoot it; this Corvair was no exception. Parked just off of Lake, I knew I found something worthwhile when I caught a quick glimpse. I had to turn around and take a peek. I think this was the first example of this generation I shot, and despite my claiming otherwise, this might have been the car that got me hooked on these things. I stood there, barely taking in what I had seen. I tried for the best pictures, but I did feel as if I was in a rush for some reason or another.
This example wasn't quite as nice as the one I posted earlier, but I do understand that living in a fairly harsh climate does what it does to cars; no, this little gem didn't have any rust that I could see, but the paint wasn't quite as shiny as I would've hope-- then again, off-white doesn't need to be horrendously shiny. I also like the factory hubcaps on this example, though I think the slot-style seen on the maroon car I posted earlier looks worlds better. Granted, that one was a sportier model than this 140-series vert, but still.
I definitely have a soft sport for these later-series Corvairs, and despite their iffy driving dynamics, I don't understand why they get such a terrible rap. Sure, they're "prone to rollover" and have "handling issues", but I'm sure they're nowhere near as dangerous as a certain politician, who coincidentally knows nothing about cars, made them out to be. After all, he drives a Ford Explorer-- which as you may remember was subject to a recall insinuating that they would rollover at the mere hint of a flat tire. That being said, I quite like these cars, and I hope more and more owners cherish their babies and keep them alive for a new generation of car enthusiasts.

No comments: