Saturday, March 3, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS





I normally refrain from posting "donk" style cars, but unfortunately, I have posted a few on here; I don't like the overall trend, but there are some examples of the breed that don't deserve as much criticism as other cars in this genre. I don't like this Monte Carlo, though I will say the owner has done a remarkably non-half-assed job at least when it comes to coordination. However, he didn't quite pick a very good theme here; I realize this is Minnesota, and Vikings fans like the colors purple and yellow. And being a donkryder, their main object is to be considered "cool" among their peers.
I am in no way a fan of the Vikings (okay, I am a little bit, but overall, I'm not into sports.), and I am not really a fan of this Vikings-themed Monte Carlo. First off, the paint scheme is....coherent at least. But that's where my initial praise of this once-proud Chevrolet two door stops; the wheels are just....shit. Horrible design, horrible size, but I give the owner credit for not leaving this particular set of "me-toos" chrome. When painted, the ugliness isn't quite so obvious unless you're a pro at naming aftermarket wheels.
Despite the ungainliness of the vehicle mods, this 1980-1985 Monte Carlo appears to be in decent condition, although I'm guessing it started of as a baby blue vehicle, judging by the interior alone. While it looks alright from afar, up close, an observer can tell that this vehicle likely has frame damage; the door to fender line is so uneven it makes a Perodua Kelisa look like a well-finished little car; not exactly words of encouragement, are they? I also witnessed this behemoth start up, and rather than accelerate as smoothly as anything on giant wheels should, this thing sputtered and coughed, and had to be jump started; not exactly a fine selling point, if indeed this thing is looking for a new owner, now is it? Also, it doesn't appear that this fine example of Chevrolet's last RWD semi-luxury two-door has exhaust pipes, and it would seem that this thing would be sporting some. Maybe the owner ran out of the funds necessary to buy the "chrome pipes" that these rolling eyesores often sport?
I don't know, or care, why this example lacks so many items necessary for a car, but I do think that in this condition, regardless of audience, this will be a tough sell made even more-so by the off-putting paint scheme and wheel choice. I wish the owner the best of luck selling it, because nearly a year later, it's still languishing out front of the tire store on Lake and Park . Maybe the owner should simply give up, and park it in a lake.

No comments: