Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Cadillac Coupe de Ville









As of late, I haven't featured any Cadillacs; why, you ask? Because it seems like I've shot--and posted up-- way too many. Be it Eldorados, Fleetwoods, and even Sedan Devilles, older Cadillacs aren't exactly scarce around here if one knows where to scout for cars. I've seen more than my fair share, too. I've almost become desensitized to the idea of a "cool" classic Cadillac, but there are still a scant few that tickle my fancy.
I'm not quite a fan of this particular generation of Coup de Ville, mainly because I detest the front fascia; I know many Cadillac fans would probably disagree, but I think the earlier cars look far better, especially up front. I wouldn't call the rear fascia exactly pretty, either. Sure, it has cliche Cadillac taillights, but having them buried in the chrome surrounds just looks.. weird. And from the profile, it looks-- I can't really put my finger on it, but I'm definitely not used to seeing a "hardtop" Cadillac as opposed to the formal roof versions, which I obviously like a bit more. Now, I'm not really saying I despite the entire car, but I'm not quite sure it flows very well.
This particular 'lac seemed to be in decent-enough condition, though I think I would probably like it better with all of the chrome spokes removed from the wheels. That left front wheel missing the spokes actually looks quite good; it's at least original, compared to the other millions of Cadillacs rolling on wire wheels, stock-sized and otherwise. I say go to the "smoothie" look in terms of the wheels, but at least polish them up first. The smoothie look doesn't quite work with dirty wheels.
Would I drive it? Not so fast. I love Cadillacs on the whole, but this Coupe de Ville leaves me something to be desired. I've never liked this fascia, and the rear end styling is a tad odd, so.. well, okay I wouldn't turn it down, but it certainly is far from my favorite Cadillac, that's for sure.

No comments: