Friday, March 23, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Oldsmobile Ninety Eight








I discovered a new area last weekend, and I found a couple cars worth shooting; I know I have featured endless amounts of Oldsmobiles, but I've only featured one example of the full-size Ninety Eight model, and that was last summer. I have no idea why, but it seems that the truly big boats aren't liked as much here in Minnesota-- I tend to see Cutlass' and Delta 88s quite frequently as far as these Olds go.
For me, finding cars I really haven't seen in person is always fascinating; when I first spotted this car, I thought it was a Pontiac if the wheels were any indication. When I finally got a chance to examine it closer, I was horribly wrong-- this full size Olds bear no indication whatsoever of anything Pontiac-- except the rolling stock, which honestly looks pretty good here. Now, along with most other classic cars that spend their days in this rather harsh climate, this Ninety Eight looked a little worse for wear, but I saw nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little time.
Usually, rust would be an obvious let-down, but on this Olds, the rust appeared to be only surface rust, which would suggest that this car first came from a drier state, like one of the Dakotas. But no, the dealer plaque on the trunk is a clear indication that it was bought right here in Minnesota. Strangely enough, it appears that most of the cars that survive with the dealer plaques still intact are GM products. Could it be an indication that either GM products survive longer than other cars, or is it a case of GM dealers being more insistent on plaques? Either way, these little plaques are an often overlooked--but undeniably cool feature on these old cars.
Aside from the surface rust on the trunk, this big sedan was pretty clean; other than the ass end, this thing was pretty straight--especially for a lifelong Minnesota car; the Pontiac Rallyes set it off quite nicely, and they look better than I imagine the stockers would. If it were up to me, I'd keep 'em on. I'd first find either some proper center caps, or get some Olds ones as a finishing touch. I'd also remove the "Support" sticker; not because I don't support the troops, I just think the combination of those stupid ribbons, and the fact that this one is faded to hell, make for a rather unpleasant sight on an otherwise straight car. All it needs now is a weekend of elbow grease, and a little time under the hood, and this Ninety Eight will be good as new. Let's just hope the owner follows suit and returns this Olds to its former glory.

No comments: