Saturday, March 24, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Honda Civic 1500 GL 5-Speed









If there's one fact I despise most about growing up--and living -- in the rustbelt, is that Japanese cars simply do not last very long once they get their first taste of oxidization. Growing up, old Hondas were the worst in terms of rust prevention; I can clearly remember seeing a ton of these with rust just behind the rear wheel-well and even on some occasions with the front fenders completely eaten out. Over the years, this generation has become less and less common; even in Kansas, where I lived out my childhood, this generation is quite the rarity.
Civics are not quite as common here as they used to be-- especially older models; while even the late '80s/early '90s models are dying out, prior generations seem to be all but gone. I can't remember the last time I saw one of these outside of Boise; maybe about ten years ago or so, a neighbor that lived near my mom had a baby blue wagon--or maybe it was a hatchback, I can't quite remember. Either way, I do remember that one being squeaky clean, too. I don't think I ever saw it get dirty. Ever. Besides that one from back home, I can't recall any other Civics of this generation.
I've known about this example for quite some time; I first saw it back in 2008 or so, when I first started shooting, but I neglected to shoot, as I didn't quite care about it-- it was merely an old car, in my eyes. Fast forward four years, though, and I didn't hesitate to seek it out; sadly, the next time I saw it, its condition had worsened considerably. When I first saw this little car, the headlight was still there, and there wasn't nearly as much rust on it; it seems the elements (not that one, either) have unfortunately gotten the better of this poor car. As it sits now, it's probably destined to become just another piece of metal destined for the nearest U-Pull-It. I quite like these little guys, and I would hate to see this one suffer that fate, despite its rather wretched condition.

No comments: