Monday, August 15, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon








It appears as far as domestic cars go, GMs seem to be the most common surviving classics up here in the Land of 10,000 rust holes. I've seen countless Buicks, an enormous number of Cadillacs, and a handful of Chevys, but Oldsmobiles are slowly gaining popularity here, for all the wrong reasons. Look hard, though, and there are diamonds in the rough. Unlike most of my Oldsmobile finds, this Cutlass isn't the typical '68-72 variety I often see around here. Instead, what we have here, is a colonnade coupe. I am guessing this is a Salon, though I can't be positive.
From the outside, this thing looks pretty amazing; no rust, no bondo, and all the trim pieces are surprisingly intact. It almost could've come from a movie set circa 1981. I appreciate the fact that this particular car isn't modified very much, sans typical 6x9s in the rear deck panel. Inside, I didn't notice any obvious gangsta mods, which is nice. This car deserves to be kept clean. I can only hope it stays so.
I am growing to like this bodystyle, which is odd, because I never really cared for them until recently. I think the color on this example suits this era of cars to a T. Like most of the cars I shoot, I don't think I would modify this one, or make any significant changes to its appearance. I would, however, chuck the crappy 350 (or god forbid the V6) for something more Oldsmobile-like, possibly a 455 Rocket, and add a true dual exhaust (perhaps with cherry bombs for the hell of it). Then, it'd be more to my liking.

1 comment:

Jay Wollenweber said...

Looks to be a 1974 base model, near as I can tell from searching the web. Nice example.