Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Oldsmobile Ninety Eight two door












I don't what it is with this damn city, but it seems like over half the cars I end up shooting are Oldsmobiles or Buicks-- and honestly there's nothing exactly wrong with that. I love finding new specimen to shoot, and certainly helps when said specimen is two blocks from my house.
Over my years, I've encountered and shot many an Oldsmobile, but I don't think I've ever run across a clean Ninety Eight two door. Ever. I've seen big cars, but this was truly massive. I bet it's probably longer than an Excursion. It certainly makes the Delta 88 coupe I posted earlier seem a tad small, if that's any indication of its demeanor.
This example seemed to be extremely well looked after. With nearly forty years of driving under its belt, this example could pass for a used car circa 1982. I scoped the car up and down for signs of rust, bondo, or wear and tear otherwise, and only found small chips of decades old GM paint missing. On the surface, the paint looked incredible (well, as incredible as non-clearcoat 1970s era metallic can look, and it was amazingly all there with no disruptions. The trim, too, was in excellent nick; the badges were spotless, and looked as if they've been adhered to the car its whole life. Same story with the hubcaps. It's not often I see a classic car not only with all hubcaps present, but all hubcaps were in really outstanding shape, too. No massive dents, or curb scrapes to report.
It looks as if this giant Oldsmobile has led a very productive life, and has served its (probably elderly) owner very well. One can only hope it continues to do so. Certainly, in this condition, it can serve as transportation with a daily dose of awesomeness as well.

No comments: