Thursday, August 25, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Plymouth Volare wagon





This particular sighting kind of bums me out. I don't think I've even seen a Volare wagon before, and quite frankly, these pictures suck. When I went back a little later, the car was gone. Anywhoo.. for those who don't know, the Plymouth Volare and Dodge Aspen twin replaced the compact Valiant/Dart twins to much initial fanfare. They did have their faults though; like numerous mid 1970s vehicles, these Chryslers rusted out faster than people could buy them. A sign of dire quality control, I suppose. Not many of these cars are left, and the few I see are often ratty. Surprisingly, this one not so much. What this one lacks in beaterness, it makes up for in rice? Wait. Rice? Yes. Sadly enough, the owner of this almost-pristine example decided it needed some racing "rimz" and some sweet hood scoops to feed his wonderful 140 horse V8. I'll give them credit for not sticking a bodykit on it, but honestly, the only reason it isn't present is because it likely doesn't exist.
Aside from that whole deal, the paint looks remarkably neat; I'm not quite sure this color is stock, but it looks great on this example and doesn't draw too much attention as do the hood scoops. Inside, all seems to be well save for the (blue!) trim. Gack! Yep, whoever attacked the hood attacked the interior as well. One can only hope this example doesn't get equipped with a Grant steering wheel later.
Besides those relatively minor nitpicks, this wagon is an extremely nice example of a vehicle you don't see anymore. I'm not sure how I feel about it being riced. On one hand, ricing is terrible and should never be done, but I suppose being riced is better than being left to rust. If only just.

2 comments:

Art Tidesco said...

That is one mean bonnet scoop where did it come from Wal Mart ?

Colin Dayton Stacy said...

likely.