Friday, August 19, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Corvette Stingray











Usually when I see Corvettes, they're of the C5 generation; slowly more and more C3s are popping out, usually in decent if not a bit worn condition. Case in point here. While this orange Stingray certainly looks great from a distance (across the street), up close, its minute flaws are revealed. Thing is, though, I liked the Corvette for what it is. No, this generation is not quite the prettiest (though earlier C3s rank up there), nor is it the fastest, but there's something about it I just like. I have no idea why, either. As I'm getting older, the mid-to-late seventies cars and trucks are starting to appeal to me more and more.
This marginally classic Corvette is in pretty decent condition. It does have minor niggles, but hey.. it's a Minnesota car; it's old. Shit happens. The chrome, though, is in extremely nice shape for its age, though there is severe pitting on the (aftermarket?) luggage rack; if this example were mine, that luggage rack wouldn't even be there. It totally clashes with the car, IMO. Doing little to detract from the overall vibe of this Stingray is the rather disco-era orange paint. I love oddball colors that most people hate; I'd rather have a later-1970s Corvette in the color shown above than the cliche red, white, black, or even yellow. Somehow, orange paint with this wheel and tire combo simply works. Inside, things were much the same. While tan isn't really the first color you think of when you picture a Corvette interior, it doesn't look out of place on this example. One thing I will point out, though, is the steering looks like it could've easily come out of a much earlier car-- and it probably did, considering the other non-stock items on this daily driven example. Wherever it came work, it certainly isn't messing up the overall look of the car. In fact, I rather like it.
If this particular Corvette was mine, (and I don't really like these all that much) the first thing I'd do is chuck the luggage rack, and tint the windows. And possibly add a wee bit of rake in the back, and maybe sidepipes. Then--and only then would it be perfect. As it is, it's a decent example of a not-quite-loved Corvette generation.

1 comment:

Art Tidesco said...

The C3 is certainly alluring, unfortunately I'll always associate it with the cringe fest TV show known as 'The Magician'.