Saturday, September 10, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: VW Beetle










I usually don't shoot Beetles; for good reason. I'm not too keen on the later models, for one, and I don't see nice early examples. So, why did I shoot this one, you ask? Well.. just look at it! I couldn't believe how much rust this poor thing had. Obviously, at one point, this 1970s example of the ever-loved classic looked better. That's not to say I would've cared more though. I dislike this era for the Beetle. Fat bumpers (not phat, you morons), ugly steelies, hideous interior, wretched paint choices, and lots of minor niggles I don't really want to explain. Anyway, I'll just say this. I'm glad this one was a rusted up piece of crap; if I'm honest, this is the only way it got my attention enough to deserve a close inspection.
As you can clearly see, the body of this once-beautiful (in another generation) classic cultmobile has seen its fair share of Minnesota winters. With rust like this, I'm amazed that it still moves. Evidenced by the semi-current tags, this much-loved (ruined?) example is someone's daily driver. (I refuse to call it pride and joy because, well, look at it. Would you be joyous driving this turd?) Aside from the rust, the trim (what's left of it anyway) looked decent. The chrome hood strip is untouched by mother nature, as well as the turn signal. Quite possibly, these are the only two good exterior parts remaining.
I don't often say this, but in this case I will. Remove the turn signal, the hood chrome strip, and the taillights, and haul this wreck off to U-Pull-It. It deserves to be killed rather than die a slow death stalking the streets of the Twin Cities.

No comments: