Thursday, September 8, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Model A






















This sighting was a rarity for me; in a land where pre-1950 classics are not the norm, even at car shows, this pristine Model A had me going gaga. Growing up, I never saw what the big deal was. I thought they were "too old" for me to like. As I aged, I began to appreciate them, not only for what they were, but I grew to appreciate them in general. It's not quite everyday I see one, either.
In all honesty, I'm still quite lukewarm on the Model A. I understand their place in automobile culture and history, but I'm just not "into" prewar cars very much. This example was very, very nice. The paint, and stance are correct, the yellow wire wheels are so 1930s it's cool. Normally, on a new car, I'd call this combo "rice", but it's factory here! Take that, Michigan-themed Honda Civic I see around all the time. The chrome on this example was not quite top-notch, but for a daily driver (which I understand this A is) it looked pretty good. The details (most noticably the plaque in the grill) revealed that this Model A is a driver, and does get its share of road use during the months that allow it. Considering its all manual in its functions, it's gotta be a pretty fun, not to mention unique, drive.
I talked to the owner, and he is the original owner, who bought the car new. Now that's what I call dedication. He's taken immaculate care of his pride and joy, and if you didn't notice the modern cars, nor the modern lettering in the signs, you'd be hard pressed to think this was shot recently. I have never seen a daily-driven, street-parked car this old, and in this condition. Major, major kudos to the owner for keeping such a historic vehicle alive and running.

2 comments:

Art Tidesco said...

Great car great condition as you say kudos to the owner :-)

Tony Piff said...

one-owner model A?? hilarious/wonderful.