Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: MG TC







I usually pass on pre-1950s cars since most of the ones I come in contact are either 90% rust, or nor parked on the street -- or in some extreme cases, both. Thankfully, this little MG was neither. I don't quite think it counts as cheating, though, but this is yet another Quality Coaches spotting. I've become quite used to heading over to the area for shoots; almost like it's second nature.
Outside, this funster looks like its in decent nick given the area it was raised in. The paint isn't shiny, though it isn't quite yet in rustbucket status. The rolling stock was nice, if not too common for this model. I am, however, digging the spare wheel on the trunk area. I'm not quite sure whether I'd switch out the wheels for the wires, to be honest. I like the wires, and I think they suit the car better, but I have never seen one with these wheels that wasn't at a show. I think they provide a nice balance between daily driver vibe and showcar vibe. Nice, but relatively easy to keep clean. Since this example was almost devoid of trim, I can't really say much in that department.
As one would expect, in typical British minimalist fashion, this little guy had a spartan interior with only the bare essentials needed for driving. I don't even think it had a CD player, let alone a radio. That's quite alright though, because when you drive an MG, you drive. No need for modern gadgets or gizmos is needed. It's the driver, the pedals, the gear lever, the steering wheel, and the road. And that's the way it should be. I'm tired of so-called "Sports cars" being aimed at idiots who are all caught up in the latest smartphone to care about how to row their own gears. That's not driving, that's sitting in the car, and letting it do the work for you.

No comments: