Thursday, September 1, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Kaiser Jeep M715







Well, now this is a first. Out of all my hours and miles scouring the area I call home, I don't think I've ever stumbled upon something this badass basking in the residential sun. To be fair and honest, I thought this was some sort of weird Jeep and Dodge Power Wagon mashup-- and to be blunt, it sort of is. Well, the Jeep equivalent I should say. What you're feasting your eyes on is a Jeep M-Series. From what I read in my (wikipedia) research, this truck is based on the Jeep Gladiator (I see that, now.) and came in several variations. Available were the M726 for phone maintenance, the M725, which did duty as an ambulance, the M724, which was a cab/chassis truck, and then this-- the M715. In its duty as a combat vehicle, this example likely carried people and goods onto and off the battlefield before being owned by a fire station. Either this example was a legit fire truck, or an enthusiast made a damn good replica. Either way, it's freakin' badass.
Unlike most vehicles of this vintage I see parked on the streets of urban Minneapolis, this war vet is extremely pristine, which leads me to wonder if this is owned by a "bro" or not. The paint is flawless, the wheels and tires are damn near perfect, and even the inside is in almost-new condition. I won't say that's quite a bad thing, though. Like most obscure-ish forty-five year vehicles, I imagine getting parts for an M-Series (let alone a Gladiator) is rather difficult; our winter-hell of a state likely makes the task even moreso. On that note alone, I applaud the owner for keeping his rig in outstanding condition, though I bet he has no trouble tackling our extreme winters. I would love to see how this thing compares to a newer full-size 4X4 truck when it comes to snow.