Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Galaxie 500










This Galaxie represents sort of an iffy find; I see cars in this shape all the time. Classic, but sort of beaters-- often with aftermarket wheels and/or trim pieces. Why I shot this one is honestly beyond me. It looks great from across the street (okay, not really, it still looks like a beater)-- and even the wheels don't look terrible per se. Up close is where the scrutiny begins and this old Ford's faults come into plain view.
First off, the paint is extremely lackluster; the color is a bit "meh", not counting the various rock chips and paint chips that mar the vehicle's backside. The only plus I can count in this category is that the trim and badges are still intact. The wheels are another letdown. I was hoping to come across the stock hubcaps but nooooooo, the owner (or playa) had to put Dayton wires on it. I fess up, though. In this application the wheels don't look disgusting. In fact, the wheels actually kind of suit the car. I wish they were chrome instead of black, though. For some reason, black wheels on a big barge like this simply doesn't work.
I don't remember very much about the interior, but it was my recollection that it was, for the most part, stock. Granted, it probably had a custom stereo of some sort, but honestly that's supposed to be expected in the age of digital/downloaded music, no? All in all, despite the overall bodywork status, I don't mind this Galaxie. I'd probably switch up a few things if I were to make it mine, though.

No comments: