Saturday, September 3, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Thunderbird












It's not often I see big Fords, much less Thunderbirds. I will admit, I do have a thing for this generation. Right after the 1955-1957 and 1961-1963s, the 1977-1979 is my absolute favorite. After the 1980 restyle, the Thunderbirds and their Cougar twin kinda got...boring. Sure, they were still personal luxury cars, as Ford marketed them, but later cars didn't have the finesse or attitude that the earlier ones conveyed.
As thirty-five year old cars go, this big Bird was pretty clean; yes, it had some pitting and rock chips up front, but in all honesty, that's pretty much expected. Aside from that little downer, the rest of this huge Ford was in pretty stunning shape. The badges, trim, the fender-lets, the hubcaps. Yep, all was not only intact, but in damn-near pristine condition, too. I honestly can't ever remember seeing a Thunderbird of this vintage in this superb condition before. Ever. Even when I was a child, all the ones roaming Lawrence relegated to beater status pretty quickly. Shame, too, because this bodystyle marked the end for the Thunderbird as a classy car.
Even the interior on this example looked pretty fresh. The back seat had some papers and a backpack in it, suggesting this was someone's mode of daily transport, but in this day and age, I hope the current owner realizes what he drives and takes care of it. In this shape, I would cry if it got even a small rust hole. If it isn't garaged come November, it could very well get one-- or possibly several. :( And I severely hope that doesn't happen.

No comments: