Thursday, March 24, 2011

2011 Minneapolis Auto Show: Best of Show: 2011 Audi TTS

The auto show was a long, thorough process; I admit I did skim over a bit of what was there, though, mainly because I had absolutely zero interest in the product being shown. I sat in, and tried out minivans, crossovers, sports cars, coupes, sedans, SUVs a scant few pick up trucks. I compared Kias to Buicks, Nissans to Hondas, BMW to Mercedes, and a host of others.
While there were quite a few vehicles I liked (as evidenced by my blog postings), there can be only one "Best of Show." Out of the nominations pretty easily was the new Saab 9-5; the only one Saab had on display was not open for public viewing, and I most defintely did not consider the 9-3X. The Volvos were there, too, but I had seen them. Ford had some good product, too, but I didn't really see anything extremely significant, nor did I get an extraordinary feeling once I sat inside. I tried out what seemed like hundreds of cars, and narrowed it down to two finalists. There were two cars that had me coming back for more; Fiat's new 500, and Audi's wonderful TTS. The 500 was a great car in its own right, but, like all cars in this price category, it had some rather cheapish details. Not to say it's a bad car, however.
The car that had me coming back for more is the Audi TTS. I must've stepped foot inside at least four or five times throughout my visit to this year's auto show. I've always liked TT; there's something about it that really captivates me. The lines, the overall shape, the way it can be a sports car when you want it to be, or be a luxury cruiser when the time comes. With the TTS, and upcoming TTRS, Audi is finally giving the TT what its deserved this whole time -- a proper sporting variant. The scrumptious body paired with the exquisite yet functional interior is amazing. On the outside, its just sexy enough to warrant attention from passersby, yet its understated enough to where people not in the know won't bother you at a red light. Being a smaller person, I quite liked the seating position. The radio, and HVAC controls were easy to use, and unlike most nav systems (cough cough Infiniti), Audi's MMI unit is remarkably easy to get used to quickly. Brilliant work if I say so.
I commend Audi for not screwing up the TT for the latter half of its second generation. Since this model is so good, I can only hope the next generation is as good-- or better. I quite loved this car, and I honestly don't know why. It's not new, it's not exactly rare, and I see them by the droves where I live. But somehow the Audi TTS is good enough to win my inaugural "Best of Show" award.









No comments: