Tuesday, March 15, 2011

2011 Minneapolis Auto Show: First Thoughts

So, it's that time of year again; spring is not quite here, and the snow is pretty much a thing of months past save for what's left gracing the ground, temperatures are in the mid 40s to low 50s, and the nice cars slowly begin to trickle onto the Minneapolis streets for summertime cruising. On the opposite spectrum of the car hobby, springtime means it's auto show time once again.
Since 2010, and 2011 were both uptick years in auto sales, I have seen many more new-model cars on our roads sooner, so there won't be too many surprises this year. I know in my heart which cars I do like, and I know which companies I will flat-out avoid. But, I shouldn't have my heart set too early. I have mixed emotions, just as I did in 2010; I still have the same favorite auto makers, and I still loathe the very same cars, so why am I going, you ask? There are a few key cars I would love to take a gander at, namely the all-new-in-the-USA Fiat 500, Kia Forte and Optima, as well as pretty much Hyundai's whole stable, and one lone Swede tops the spot, too-- the all-new Saab 9-5. Not to be outdone, I am going to be looking at what's new from Cadillac and Buick, too. Hopefully Infiniti, too, will be present. I'm curious to see the new M and G under the show lights.
2011 is also a big year in terms of "green" vehicles, too. I'm not sure what to make of it, really. While its great people are suddenly buying efficient vehicles, hybrid-electric cars aren't the long term answer. What about diesel? I think diesel can be a much cheaper (both upfront and in the long run) alternative, plus owning a diesel won't make your car seem as "uppity" as the hybrid factor. The Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt, both of which made major media splashes this past year are the cause of the uproar of the auto industry. It's sad to see so many clueless people trying to run the auto industry and try to tell us what they think is good. Because of these two lone vehicles, the progress we had with diesel was lost, possibly forever.
Let's not forget about trucks and SUVs, either. In a time when everyone forgot about the 1990s most popular mode of transport, remarkable SUVs are being churned out, slowly but surely. I loved the first generation VW Touareg when it bowed in late 2003 as a 2004, and I love the third generation one even more. I'm curious to see how it stacks up. Same story goes for the Volvo XC90; I honestly put it on the backburner until I watched years-old Motor Trend coverage and was reminded of how good of a ride it really is. Does it hold a candle, eight years after winning Motor Trend's prestigious "SUV of the Year" award back in 2003? Same with the Range Rover. Classic, and classy. I love them, and I always have-- definitely will be checking them out.
I think it's time for me to stop rambling, and get back to my opinions after I check the auto show out. I don't want to spoil it already. Till next time...

No comments: