Friday, March 11, 2011

San Francisco Street Sighting: Triumph TR4











I first started blogging cars from the Bay about a month ago; and I guess I ran into other priorities. So here are a couple more from the area. First up is this cute little Triumph TR4. Like the 2CV I posted a little more than a month ago, this TR represents an odd circumstance; while I see my fair share of British roadsters back home, it seemed like the magical, rust-free California streets spared me just one iconic British motorcar. Quite strange, really. I expected to find these by the dozens. I guess I was wrong.
This example of TR is a clean one; while it isn't by any means a Concours winning restoration, the condition seems a little better than the TRs back home. The paint is decent enough with no pitting, cracking or peeling. Also, unlike a the unrestored examples I see here in Minnesota, this quality TR4 has no evidence of rust. The wire wheels, too, are in rather exceptional condition for what I assume is a daily driver. Even the often-troubling convertible top looks like its in rather nice condition, although I will say this car would look indefinitely better with the roof down.
Does this particular car look out of place among the modern cookie-cutters that line this street? Absolutely, but that's part of what spurred me to shoot this one. I like these things, and I usually see them outside of one particular location here. Not that that's a bad thing per se. I just wish I would find more here scattered about our streets, like this California example.

No comments: