Wednesday, March 16, 2011

2011 Minneapolis Auto Show: The final thought

Well, to be honest, it appears that my first impressions were right; I didn't really notice too many standouts. While I did visit every stand, and I use that term loosely, there were far too few vehicles that impressed me. I didn't look at the majority of pickups or SUVs, not because I didn't like any, but because.. well, to be honest, no emotion was evoked at all.
I pretty much skimmed all the foreign manufacturers simply because 90% of what they offer now, either I've seen, or it does absolutely nothing for me. Honda, for instance-- yes, Honda is quite known for extreme longevity, but on the face of it, none of their products really excite me anymore, and haven't since the demise of the high-revving S2000 sports car. Same goes for Mazda; great cars, excellent styling, but nothing new. Even the Mazda 5 mini-minivan. Cool, but not quite pictureworthy as it wasn't really a surprise. Sad to say, I pretty much skipped Nissan (okay I looked at the Quest) and Mitsubishi (the Galant is still made?!?) and I don't think I cared enough about Toyota to more than breeze through.
Same story goes for GM, and most of Ford and Chrysler; yes, they're finally building a decent product portfolio, but I have seen way too much of these cars on the internet; I wasn't exactly filled with surprise when I saw them in the metal. Even such "stunners" as the new Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. They looked, different, yes, but not enough so to spark any interest from me, positive or not.
Enough of a snippet, let's cut to the chase with the cars I cared enough about to photograph.

No comments: