Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Abandoned Autos: Chevy 210 Post

Usually I don't shoot tri-five Chevys for obvious reasons; it's not that they don't look good-- they do. That's not the problem; the problem lies in the fact that they all look alike. Red and white, teal and white, black with flames, Torq Thrusts, Boyds, Camaro Rallyes, pinstripes, etc etc. Talk about a cliched American classic car. To me, tri-five Chevys rank right up there with C3 Corvettes and first Camaros and Mustangs as the most talked about, overrated staples in the auto industry. Sure, they're great cars in their own right, but it's time to focus our attention on different cars. But, as luck would have it, I stumbled upon a tri-five that was not cliche in any way, shape of form.
Perched in a gravel parking lot outside an abandoned restaurant in Northern Minnesota, this once-nice Chevy has clearly seen better days. If the license plate is anything to go by, this vehicle had been sitting here for over four decades when these pictures were shot. I wonder what could've rendered it useless at the ripe young age of ten years. As you would expect, the vehicle has suffered all kinds of decay wrought by the rotten Minnesota elements. One thing is for sure, though; the chrome has certainly withstood the test of time-- and vandalism. Unlike the vast majority of this once-prized classic, (or would that be mundane car?) all the chrome is relatively intact, including the interior pieces. Amazing really, given how long this vehicle has been "stored" outside.
While there was one other vehicle sitting beside it, the rest of its surroundings looked absolutely forlorn-- creepy almost. Looking the car over very carefully, I was almost stricken with a feeling that I was being watched-- by something, someone.. it was eerie. I tried opening the doors, and to my surprise, the passenger door did budge. I quickly shut it, and tried to regain my attention on pictures. But, I was almost too afraid to keep shooting. After what seemed like endless pacing around, I finally got back my nerve to shoot. Enough babbble, here are the picture. I really like how these came out, and I honestly think this has been one of my more fun shoots.























1 comment:

Unknown said...

1955 Chevrolet 210 sport coupe