Saturday, March 12, 2011

San Francisco Street Sighting: VW 412











Here is yet another car from the Bay Area. This time, a VW. I don't see many vintage VW out my way, so the trip to Cali got my hopes up to see not-before-seen classics once again. Like my Triumph and Citroen experience, my VW experience was quite sour, too. One would think that in the land of sun, and no salt, classic cars would be in abundance here; not so. There were more modern generic cars than I cared to count. While classic cars were far and few in between, there were more examples here than in the Twin Cities at least. On the VW front, I saw countless old Beetles, but not much else.
This 412 was quite a surprise; I don't think I've seen one before, and knowing what state I live in, I likely never will again. The paint, as expected, does have a bit of patina to it if you will. That's no bad thing, however.; it simply means the car is enjoyed by whomever owns it. Ditto goes for the seats, too. They're in impeccably bad shape, but that's okay. It just shows this class V-Dub is much loved by its driver.
Now, if this example were mine, there are a few changes I'd make; first, the suspension needs a bit of lowered, and second, those stock VW wheels have to go. I like them on the stock 412 fine, but they're not my style. I want some black/polished forged Fuch replica wheels, maybe 18x8 and in the front and 19x9 in the rear. Bagging this thing would be a must, as would an engine swap. Maybe a Carrera 3.2 flat six, too. Hmm how knows maybe do a full 930 Turbo running gear swap in it? Hmmm.. and leave it flat (matte?) blue, too. Just the right amount of patina, with enough modern-ness to make me drool.

No comments: