Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: BMW Z4 M Coupe










Very few modern cars excite me anymore, much less modern BMWs-- sure I like the M3, and M5, but honestly, I care more about the engine and how it sounds, than how the car itself looks. The last BMW I cared for was the BMW Z4 M Coupe. By adding the fastback-like roofline, it seems to fix the whole car. I hated the way the thing looks with the top down, and it looks like a butchered Z3 with the top up. The "flame surface" styling is a love it-or-hate it affair, but I am in the minority; on the Z4 M Coupe, the styling just works. While it's no M1, it certainly has an undeniable appeal; it looks luxurious, yet imposing at the same time; sort of like Michelle Rodriguez. A Porsche Boxster it is not. Granted I wouldn't kick a Boxster back to Carousel, but to be honest, Porsches' "baby 911" is just too common around my parts. Normally, I loathe red cars, too; I generally prefer black, or darkers hues of blue, but for some odd reason, the M seems to pull off being red; it's honestly one of a select-few cars I'd consider owning in this overplayed color. The 5 spoke wheels look amazing here, too; I know, 5 spokes are pretty cliche, especially for a performance car. AMGs have them, Porsches higher end 911s and Boxsters wear em, the Corvette Z06 wear em, the decent Mustangs and Camaros wear em, and they're a Lamborghini and Ferrari staple. Regarding the paint and trim, most folks would say "OMG paint the wheels black and tint the taillights". My opinion is this: on cars that need it, fine. This particular Bimmer needs none of that. It just needs to be placed on the Nurburgring and let loose. Stiffen up the suspension, dial in the right tire pressure, and give it a new exhaust, and let 'er roar.

No comments: