Monday, March 7, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Jaguar XJ6L













Yeah, I know, another Quality Coaches posting. I can't help it; this place holds stunning cars. One can find numerous classic makes hanging out here-- Rovers, Morgans, MG, Triumph, Austin Healey, and most often Jaguar. I've already shown you the gorgeous Mark II. Now, for a car that is slightly more modern, but one that still has timeless appeal.
When the Jaguar XJ6 was introduced in 1968, it was seen a breakaway from classic Jaguar styling. It was still the traditional rounded vehicle that Jaguars have always been, but was more streamlined, too. Yet, despite the radical departure from the previous cars' styling, the XJ was unmistakably Jaguar. The same theory could also be applied to the 2009+ XJ, too, but I'm trying really hard to block that idea from my head.
The 1968 design continued on, despite minor changes until 1986, when slightly freshened version debuted. That version lasted until 2003. By then, Jaguar seemed to have lost its way with timeless designs and began the usual "update car every four years cycle." Kind of sad, really.
This classic Jag certainly looks the business; the metallic maroon paint is extremely shiny, and exhibits almost no wear and tear; even the chrome trim is in outstanding shape. The badges are near perfect, and the chrome hubcaps are certainly spotless; not the type of Jag I'd daily drive. I'd be worried up the wazoo about potholes, bad drivers, and other minor nuisances that could ruin such a pretty car. That said, I definitely wouldn't turn down the opportunity to drive such a classic. In fact, I'd jump at the opportunity. I would love to drive this; heck, I'd love to see it again to take better pictures of it.
With the growing popularity of classic British cars, I can only hope more of these get saved. I would also like to see more MG sedans, and more Rovers, too, but that's just me. Maybe I should keep staking out Quality Coaches.

No comments: