Friday, July 20, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Lincoln Continental Mark III

I gotta say I'm a sucker for Lincolns; always have been, and likely always will be. Earlier, I brought readers what I think is one of the worst (and most generic) looking Continentals of all time. In contrast, I bring readers one of my favorite generations. I've long been a fan of Lincoln's big two door coupes, and aside from the Mark VIII, I tend to like them all. While I first piqued an interest in the Mark V and IV, I think the III is probably my favorite. For one, it looks badass--almost evil-- many of its color choices, and removing the hubcaps gives it even more of a "serial killer" look. It's not everyday I see a classic Lincoln, and even rarer when its something as iconic as a Mark coupe. Unfortunately, this example isn't exactly prime-- but who cares when its as badass as this?


I love these old Lincolns; sadly, they're not quite common anymore. In my years as a car spotter, I've only seen two that I can recall on the street. One in Lawrence, and this one. Like one in Lawrence I shot, this one isn't in great shape either-- ironically, unlike the Lawrence one, this example is free of noticeable body rust. Where this one does suffer though, is the overall decaying condition--a problem that seems to plague many of Minneapolis' prestigious Fords, from LTDs to Mark VIIs and everything in between. That's not bad, though.
I love cars in forlorn condition, and this big thing is no exception. In fact, I probably like it more in this condition. Without the hubcaps, and the torn up vinyl roof, this Lincoln doesn't scream "HELP!" as much as it says "Get out of my way motherfucker!" It's exactly the opposite of what I'd want to see looming in my rearview mirror. Every car deserves a horror movie made after it, and this one is prime-picking. Imagine, you're on a dark road in a little Chevette puttering along, and all the sudden you hear and engine with no lights.. then out of nowhere, a pair of headlights flashes in your rearview mirror, and the following car comes closer.. creepy? Well.. good.. because that's exactly the vibe I get from this.
Aside from being good fodder for a cheapo horror movie, this once-classic coupe is good restoration fodder as well. New vinyl, a set of proper hubcaps, and a redone interior and this thing will be good to go. Just lay off the candy paint and 26s, and all is well. If not, I'll find the owner and talk to him.. maybe.

1 comment:

Jay Wollenweber said...

You do realize that the Lincoln Mark III *did* get its own horror movie, right?

It's called "The Car". :P