Friday, July 6, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

Ever since I was a little boy, there have been a few cars that I've liked for unknown reasons; I showed the Reatta yesterday, and while I only care about those because they're not quite common, I never really had an attachment to them. The Oldsmobile Toronado, on the other hand, I've liked almost all generations of, be them big or "small". I've always had a fascination with GM's smaller cars, such as the Pontiac Grand Am that came in 1985, and oddly enough, this generation Toronado did as well.
This bodystyle marked the end of line for Oldsmobile's famed marque--and maybe that was for the better. What started out as a big, personal-luxury coupe had become a shadow of its former self; front wheel drive remained, as did the vast range of luxurious options, but the overall prestige was gone. No swivel seats, no chromed interior, and it wasn't all that fast--granted the 1970s and 1980s weren't fast either, but still. In a vain attempt to lure in younger buyers (here we go again), GM decided that the Toronado needed a "youthful" variant. In sharp contrast with the wire-look wheels, formal colors, and range of upscale features, the Trofeo did away with all that nonsense. Instead, it packed a rather svelte (if you can indeed call it that) bodykit, a period decklid spoiler, and a set of rather un-Oldsmobile-like aluminum wheels on semi-performance rubber; however, like the Lumina Euro and Z34 that came after it, this car was just another attempt at GM's sporty styling--and it worked; these cars still look good today.











Sadly, this Trofeo is about as un-prestigious as they come; faded paint does it no wonders, nor do the cheap-but-period aftermarket wheels. The front end is obviously a bit worse for wear, and unfortunately, this is the best one I've seen in quite awhile. Oldsmobile statistics show that these Trofeos were never that popular--and their scarcity some twenty five years after introduction proves this. I've seen probably five or six since I moved up here, and aside from a black one I took one measly picture of a few years ago, this is the only one I've ever captured on camera.
I love these cars--I really do; they're a part of my childhood, and like those sportier Luminas and Grand Prixs-- and even the Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, the Trofeo reminds me of a time when GM cared about having a variation of a each particular car to suit a wide range of people. Now, about the only car that's offered in a wide range of variations is.. well, there really isn't one in the US.
I'm saddened that none of these cars have survived past the beater stage; maybe--just maybe-- I should seek out one and save it. After all, prices are rock bottom, and while Trofeos aren't collectors' items now, who's to say whether they will or won't be?

1 comment:

Jay Wollenweber said...

1990-1992, I don't know how to date it any closer since the year-to-year changes were under the hood or inside, and Bright Red was available all three years. I don't see any steering wheel buttons, which would make it a 1990 model, but the 1991-1992 models had buttons that were the same color as the steering wheel and it's hard to tell through the rear window glass.